Member Terms & Conditions
Who can be a member
- A person (either an individual or incorporated body) who supports the purposes of Boarding Australia Ltd. is eligible to apply to be a member. Boarding Australia’s object is to pursue the following charitable purpose(s):
- Advance education by improving access to education for children and young people from rural and remote areas
- Advance education and improve access to education for Indigenous Australians
- Advance education through the promotion of quality improvement in educational boarding and residential care
- Advance education through initiatives that enhance the health and wellbeing of children and young people in educational boarding and residential care
- Advance education by improving the skills and knowledge of those working in educational boarding and residential services for children and young people.
How to apply to become a member
- A person (either an individual or incorporated body) may apply to become a member of Boarding Australia Ltd. by completing an application for membership. The company may accept or reject an application, whether the applicant has complied with the requirements of clauses 11 and 12 or any other requirements set out in the Boarding Australia Ltd. Constitution, or not.
Approval of membership
- The directors must consider an application for membership within a reasonable time after the secretary receives the application.
- If the directors approve an application, the secretary must as soon as possible:
- enter the new member on the register of members, and
- write to the applicant to tell them that their application was approved, and the date that their membership started.
- If the directors reject an application, the secretary must write to the applicant as soon as possible to tell them that their application has been rejected, but does not have to give reasons.
When a person becomes a member
- An applicant will become a member when they are entered on the register of members.
When a person stops being a member
A person immediately stops being a member if they:
- are wound up or otherwise dissolved or deregistered (for an incorporated member)
- resign, by writing to the secretary
- are expelled under clause 18 of the Boarding Australia Ltd. Constitution, or
- have not responded within three months to a written request from the secretary that they confirm in writing that they want to remain a member.
- The annual membership fee and any other fees or levies payable by members or categories of members of Boarding Australia Ltd., the benefits which apply, the time for and manner of payment, shall be determined by the directors from time to time.
- The directors are empowered to prevent any member whose annual membership fee or any other fees are in arrears from exercising the whole or any rights or privileges of membership of Boarding Australia Ltd., including but not limited to the right to vote at General Meetings.